Thursday, March 1, 2012

March just checked in!

Mornin'! Uh-oh...March is upon us. For those that know me, March is my least favorite of all the months. When I lived in Philadelphia it wasn't. It use to represent Spring; a sign of a new season approaching; bulbs and blossoms and buds sprouting everywhere you looked. Not so in Wildwood. In WW, March is the last chapter of winter and is truly a Lion as it roars in and most of the time roars out. For one, March is intensely windy. Couple that with lots of rain and not-so warm temps and you get a wicked, wild, chilled to the bone feel most of the time. It's the last hurrah before the gentleness of the warming Spring sun and lovely seabreezes begin wafting in the opened front windows. Since the ocean temperature never dropped into the 30's this Winter and it's been relatively mild, our island may have a reprieve of March's traditional wrath. But, I'm cautiously optimistic. I don't trust March as far as I can throw it. This morning it's 57°, mild, quiet as the sky's beginning to brighten. We're in the process of drying (lots and lots of rain yesterday and last night) and clearing out. The sky is clear and ready to welcome the morning sun. It'll be partly sunny today as temps reach 60°. Winds are all over the place...beginning W-SW at 15-20mph; shifting W-NW; then another shift by evening NW at 20mph. High tide:2:16p.m.; Low tide:8:13a.m.; Ocean temp:45°; Sunset: 5:54p.m.; 20 days until Spring! Today will certainly feel like it. I hope you're listening March...please be kind this year.

1 comment:

Jim Anders said...

I don't think I'll ever 'out-sentence' this one:
"
APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain
(T.S.Eliot)