Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Super Moon Humpday

Mornin'!  It's 75° in Wildwood NJ.  Humidity's 95% with a 74° dewpoint.  Breezes are barely there out of the SW at 3-5mph.  It's muggy and cloudy as Ms Sun doesn't have a chance at the moment to shine with this thick cloud cover.  My first thoughts when I woke, was Idalia pummeling the gulf coast of Florida.  Then, when I stepped out onto my back porch, not a leaf on my tree or shrubs were moving as it's as still as can be this morning.  It's amazing that one part of the country is being destroyed by a Category 3 hurricane as I'm surrounded by stillness and silence.  It's very emotional for me.  Just this past May, I vacationed in Clearwater Florida for the very first time as I now know the area that's being paralyzed.  I can't express what I'm feeling but the last thing you want is Jim Cantore in your town. 
For Wildwood today, expect scattered showers today mostly before noon (25% chance).  We should see peeks of sunshine this afternoon with temps heading into the mid-80s and SW winds at 5-10mph.  Tonight... mostly cloudy, temps in the mid-upper 60s and N-NW winds at 10-15mph.  Tomorrow... mostly cloudy, temps in the low-70s and stiff winds out of the NE.  The holiday weekend beginning Friday into Monday is looking A-OK with plenty of sunshine and temps in the mid-70s and low-80s all four days.  It's the Full Moon (Super Moon) today and our tides are more extremely higher and lower than normal.  In fact, there are a couple Advisories posted...  "Coastal Flood Advisory" and "High Rip Current Risk" are in effect today until 1AM Thursday.  Remember your "high tide" times when traversing or parking around or on or off the island.  This affects the bayside communities as well and remember that the high tide is an hour later on the bay/marsh side of the island than the ocean side.  If heading to the beach, watch for beach closures and do not swim if there are no lifeguards as the ocean's rip currents are in the "high risk" zone today.  They're extremely dangerous.  Be safe out there.  I'm certainly counting my blessings that the likes of Idalia aren't hitting home for us.  
High Tides: 8:14AM and 8:34PM
Low Tide: 2:15PM
Ocean Temp: 73°
Sunrise: 6:26PM
Sunset: 7:52PM
Moonrise: 7:45PM
UV index: 6.8
Rip Current: High Risk

1 comment: