Thursday, November 1, 2012

Happy November!

North Wildwood Dunes 11/1/12
Mornin'!  It's 48° in Wildwood this clear, starlit, chilly November morn.  No breezes.  Temps will rise into the mid-50's under mostly cloudy skies with peeks of sun.  Winds will be out of the West at 15-20mph.  Back into the 40's tonight.  Don't see any rain in the forecast for the next few days.  (one forecast did say a slight chance late tomorrow). High tide:9:57a.m.; Low tide:4:16p.m.; Ocean temp:61°; Sunset:5:59p.m.
So, just for the record...it's back to normal today.  Got home yesterday afternoon after spending 3 days at our daughter and son-in-law's home in Levittown, PA.  (btw...this will be day 4 without power for them as Sandy socked them good).  We found our home here unscathed.  There was lots to clean up, raking and picking up in the yard (looked like a huge chunk of boardwalk was in my driveway) with debri and branches and leaves and even seaweed everywhere.  The backyard was still under water.  Inside our home was exactly how we left it and in perfect shape.  Under our home in the 4' crawl space...still flooded with everything we stored on shelves in containers all still floating.  The pump went under the house thanks to hubby which pumped for at least 4 hours ridding "our basement" of water.  Water filled everything.  All our summer furniture and stuff, every plastic container of seasonal decorations...saturated and soaking in seawater.  Spent the day salvaging my Christmas decorations.  Some were heirlooms from my childhood...gone.  Just stuff I say as I saw neighbors around me putting everything they had in their home at the curb.  Haven't seen the island yet but intend to report to work today and will without doubt see a different Wildwood as I head back and forth across the island.  What I did see when I returned to the island was a different coastline than what I left as the dunes were once again claimed by the ocean.  Cleanup was happening everywhere.  And, more importantly, the spirit of Wildwood was intact.   

2 comments:

Jim Anders said...

Welcome back. I have as yet to step outside in Haddon Township since Sunday. Sea legs symptoms may abound.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad your home is ok for the most part, but am sorry about all your decorations, etc. I followed the news faithfully regarding Wildwood / Cape May and have been watching videos on Youtube and definitely praying! Thank you for the update..i missed reading your blog. I am counting the months til we can return to Wildwood :)