Sunday, October 28, 2012

Hurricane Sandy



Mornin'!  It's 61° in Wildwood.  Skies are clouded over before this ominous daybreak.  The winds are howling already at 25mph with gusting from the N-NE.  And, so it begins.  After a decent night sleep, I woke to the sounds of the winds.  No rains yet.  This will be my last blog for awhile.  www.weather.com or http://www.nws.noaa.gov/ is the place to go for now.  Today will be the beginning of the barrier island's mandated evacuation as 4p.m. is the deadline. My plan is to leave for Philly later this morning.  We're hunkered down now after working non-stop all day yesterday addressing the tasks at hand.  That includes outdoors as well as indoors.  And, even though the day was a back breaker, it's nothing compared to the mental anquish being forced away from it all and wondering how our home and the island will stand up to Sandy's forces.  It's all in Mother Nature's hands now.  Today will be the beginning.  Rains will begin later today as temps remain in the mid-upper 60's.  Winds prevail and continually increase in speed as the storm hits landfall late tomorrow evening.  It will pack a punch of 70+ mph winds as rainfall of 6-10" are predicted depending where you are.  The Full Moon is also tomorrow and will increase the tides.  My main tide chart reference is posting 15'-17' ocean waves during this time.  All those formulas combined for a sustained period of a couple days will do alot of havoc wreaking on the ol' island and I pray Wildwood will prevail.  Lord have mercy.  See ya back here mid-week!
High tide:7:53p.m.
Low tide:1:35p.m.
Ocean temp:63°
Sunset:6:03

1 comment:

Jim Anders said...

Please believe me when I tell you that when I checked out your blog earlier, I was so intent on the message that I completely missed the photo. Unbelievable.